Sunday, September 13, 2020

Little Richard - "Rip It Up" (the song remains the same)

Little Richard (Richard Wayne Penniman) died in May.  I've been meaning to cover his death, but couldn't find the song or a succinct way to describe his enormous influence on rock-n-roll.  I've decided to just link my way out of describing his impact on music since I'm unlikely to have anything novel to say on the subject.  But thanks to a tip from my friend Gregg, I've finally found the right song.

"Rip It Up" was a 1956 single from the LP "Here's Little Richard".  It's been covered by numerous musicians, but the 2020 collaboration between Richmond's Butcher Brown and Little Richard for the NFL's Monday Night Football theme is the latest.  Bottom line: continuing with a Bocephus MNF theme was no longer tenable, again.  Swapping to an updated Little Richard song?  Perfect.

"Let's ball tonight!"

Little Richard - "Rip It Up" (1956)

Little Richard and Butcher Brown - "Rip It Up" (2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment