Unfortunately, Howie B's entry in the Another Late Night series does not come together. In fact, this is probably my least favorite DJ mix LP -- Howie B just goes through the motions, playing the tracks one after another (almost all of them in their entirety), with little feel for transitions or even an attempt to mix them. It has the following tracks (lifted from wikipedia.org):
- "What It Is?" - The Undisputed Truth
- "Love's Theme" - Love Unlimited Orchestra
- "Twilight" - Maze featuring Frankie Beverly
- "I Changed My Mind" (Stereo MCs Rattlesnake mix) - Lyrics Born & The Poets of Rhythm
- "Uplink" - Stratus
- "Mirage" - Santana
- "Walking In Rhythm" - The Blackbyrds
- "Summer Hot" - Curtis Mayfield
- "Contrazoom" (featuring Alison Goldfrapp) - Spacer
- "Respiration" - Black Star
- "Work The Angles" - Dilated Peoples
- "Heavy Tune" - Gong
- "Under The Boardwalk" - Howie B
- "Violets Don't Be Blue" - Herbie Mann
The biggest head scratcher is probably Howie B's version of "Under the Boardwalk" -- it sounds like a midi version suitable for karaoke. I mean that in the worst possible way. Including some of your own work in a mix is de rigeur, but Howie B insults us with this throwaway track.
If this was your first DJ mix LP, you might not ever purchase another one. A more skilled DJ could salvage this song selection with innovative mixing. Or, minus the mixing, a more thoughtful track selection would have been ok. To fail at both is unforgivable.
Standout Tracks: "I Changed My Mind", "Respiration", "Work the Angles", "Uplink", "Love's Theme"
Skip 'em Tracks: Pretty much the rest.
Final Score: 4/10. You might enjoy some songs individually -- this score reflects the presentation as a mix LP.