Having said that, Camera Obscura treading water is still better than most bands and after repeated listening my opinion of this LP has improved. In prior reviews I've struggled to describe their sound with terms like "NPR indie rock" and "pop songs for adults", so I won't try further here. Even though it might be their weakest LP to date, it should still be in your collection.
Standout songs: "French Navy" (if you listen to only one Camera Obscura song in your life, make it "French Navy"), "Sweetest Thing", "Swans", "James", "My Maudlin Career", "Honey in the Sun"
Skip 'em songs: none
Final rating: 7/10. On a good day I'd give it an 8/10, but I sure would like at least one more song with a hook as strong as "French Navy".
Bonus live links (incomplete, there are many more):
- French Navy: Craig Ferguson, Morning Becomes Eclectic
- The Sweetest Thing: Baebel
- Swans: Morning Becomes Eclectic, acoustic in the CO tour bus
- James: Morning Becomes Eclectic
- My Maudlin Career: The Glass House
- Honey in the Sun: Morning Becomes Eclectic