Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tony Carey - A Fine Fine Day (forgotten song)

I first mentioned Tony Carey as the keyboardist for Rainbow Mk II (1976-1977; see my review of "On Stage"). Although his tenure with Rainbow was brief, he was (and still is) quite prolific as a solo artist, recording as Tony Carey and Planet P Project (among others). He scored a few minor hits along the way (e.g., "I Won't Be Home Tonight" and "Why Me?"), but never really turned the corner.

My favorite song of his is "A Fine Fine Day" from his 1984 LP "Some Tough City". I like songs with stories, and this one tells the story of Uncle Sonny's return from prison. The lyrics are ambiguous about how the reunion turns out, but the video and 7" cover art leave no doubt about Sonny's fate. I remember this one getting some airplay on MTV (and maybe radio) when it came out. My favorite work of his is still with Rainbow, but this song isn't bad and you might remember it from 25+ (!) years ago.

A Fine Fine Day: official video, lip sync version from Solid Gold.

Bonus Link: The YouTube channel "pinkwrld" is devoted entirely to TC/PPP videos.

9 comments:

  1. Actually, it was a #22 hit on the Billboard charts. I remember MTV played the hell out of it and it was on the radio quite a bit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that the song made it that high. I remember the video, but I can't recall it on the local radio stations -- perhaps they played it and I just don't remember.

    Anyway, I always liked this song. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song! I remember recording it onto cassette off the radio back in the day. We also had the 45 single at the station I worked at in the mid 80s and would play it in light rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised at how many people remember this song! Any other memories from your station days?

    thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great tune w/fantastic organ. I always thought "the old Houdini" meant he skipped town and was safe...guess not from the vid! Love it tho...may actually do it w/my acoustic duo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember discovering Tony Carey as a teenager when I saw him play A Fine, Fine Day on the TV show Solid Gold. I was immediately hooked. Awesome song! During the same time I heard Why Me and bought the cassette and wore the heck out of it. 40+ years later I've owned both in various formats and they are still in my personal rotation. I also remember hearing I Won't Be Home Tonight on KQ92, it's is a killer album, and I like it more than Some Tough City.

    Would love to see a remastered Planet P Project on 180gm vinyl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea there were so many Tony Carey fans!

    I also remember "I Won't Be Home Tonight"; I think that made the local radio station but I can't be sure.

    Thanks, Frank, for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember MTV playing the heck out of A Fine Fine Day back in the day. I love the song. I love the video. I never got tired of it.
    And when I heard it again recently on the Top 40 countdown on my Sirius XM radio I was like Oh yeah! I remember that one and I got interested in all over again. The melody and the story just sticks with me and he's got such powerful vocals too. I hope he knows he's got fans.

    ReplyDelete