Saturday, April 14, 2018

Boogie Down Productions - "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)" (forgotten song)

It's been a while since I've discussed BDP / KRS-One, and the 1990 single "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)", from their LP "Edutainment", is a good opportunity to pull together a variety of threads.

First, I like songs that tell a story, and KRS-One is an excellent storyteller.  In this song, KRS-One tells of a teenager's progression into criminality in order to provide for his family:
The very next day while I'm off to class
My moms goes to work cold busting her ass
My sister's cute but she got no gear
I got three pairs of pants and with my brother I share
See there in school see I'm made a fool
With one and a half pair of pants you ain't cool
But there's no dollars for nothing else
I got beans, rice, and bread on my shelf
...
So here comes Rob his gold is shimmery
He gives me two hundred for a quick delivery,
I do it once, I do it twice,
Now there's steak with the beans and rice,
My mother's nervous but she knows the deal,
My sister's gear now has sex appeal,
My brother's my partner and we're getting paper,
Three months later we run our own caper,
My family's happy everything is new,
Now tell me what the fuck am I supposed to do
Second, I recently finished Trevor Noah's "Born a Crime", part autobiography and part biography of Trevor's mother and growing up in South Africa with apartheid and subsequent poverty.  This passage (p. 209) about his post-high school hustling in Alex struck me as similar to the story that KRS-One tells:
One of the first things I learned in the hood is that there is a very fine line between civilian and criminal.  We like to believe we live in a world of good guys and bad guys, and in the suburbs it's easy to believe that, because getting to know a career criminal in the suburbs is a difficult thing.  But you go to the hood and you see there are so many shades in between.  ... In the hood, even if you're not a hardcore criminal, crime is in your life in some way or another.  There are degrees of it.  It's everyone from the mom buying some food that fell off the back of a truck to feed her family, all the way up to the gangs selling military-grade weapons and hardware. 
Third, for some reason the BDP Youtube Vevo channel seems to have removed the official video (4:52 radio edit); in fact all the bookmarked URLs come back with a copyright violation takedown notice (example 1, example 2).  But since this was a popular video, there are correctly archived versions in the Internet Archive.  For reasons I don't understand, the 6:39 LP version is still available on the official Youtube channel.

So there you go: a great storytelling song from some 27 years ago, with a connection to a book I recently finished, and I was able to use web archives to resurrect the original video (with its charming, community theater production feel).

Boogie Down Productions - "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)" official video / radio edit, LP version

2020-07-23 update: The archived version no longer works (!), but I found another version on the live web.  

No comments:

Post a Comment