Thursday, January 10, 2019

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Maps" (forgotten song)

Early this morning I was driving and head a song on 96X I had not heard before.  I Shazam'd it and discovered it was "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  I half-recognized the band name, but then I was out of pocket all day and didn't get a chance to investigate until now. 

I now find out this song came out in 2003!  How did I not know about this song / band until some 15+ years later?!

The best way I can describe it is if The Cribs had a female lead singer.  But checking the date, the first LP by The Cribs came out in 2004, so I suppose they sound like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  A quick google search reveals articles with titles like "How The Yeah Yeahs' 'Maps' Helped Change the Way We View the Relationship Between Pop and Indie", "The MTV Movie Awards' Best Musical Moments", and "Karen O – ‘Maps’ video tears were real".   I've got to work my way through their discography now to discover if all their songs rawk like this one does... right after I stop listening to "Maps" on repeat.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Maps" (official video, 2004 MTV Movie Awards).


No comments:

Post a Comment