Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Fiona Apple - "Across the Universe" (the song remains the same)

For the second installment for Women's History Month, Danette recommended that I review one of her favorites, Fiona Apple's debut LP "Tidal".  I'm not familiar enough with that LP to give it a proper review, so instead I offer Apple's 1998 cover of The Beatles' "Across the Universe". 

It appears as a bonus track on her second LP, "When the Pawn...", but I think it first appeared on the soundtrack for "Pleasantville".  I recall seeing the film with Danette at the Commodore Theatre in Portsmouth, and the "pleasant" surprise of her cover during the closing credits. 

"Across the Universe" is one of my favorite songs and if the Beatles's version is fantastical, then Apple turns in a sounds-like-3am version.

Fiona Apple - "Across the Universe"
The Beatles - "Across the Universe"

No comments:

Post a Comment