Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Comet is Coming - Live 2019-03-18

This entry is courtesy of Mat Kelly, who sent me a link to the London-based trio The Comet is Coming.  I had not heard of them before, but I really liked what I was able to hear via YouTube clips.  This is a live, in-studio recording presumably captured before their NYC show later that day.  This clip features songs from their (then upcoming) 2019 LP "Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery":
  1. "Blood of the Past"
  2. "Birth of Creation" 
  3. "Summon the Fire" (official video for the studio version)
The sound is engaging and evokes the sci-fi, space-jazz sound of artists like Sun Ra, as well as the irreverence of bands like Art of Noise.   It also reminds me, in aesthetic if not exactly sound, of the the band Algiers that Herbert recently turned me onto. I'll cover Algiers later, but in the mean time I wanted to draw your attention to this tip from Mat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment