Friday, July 26, 2019

DJ Shadow - "Rocket Fuel" (spotlight)

I recently received two promotional e-mails from DJ Shadow, the first alerting me that a new LP will come out in 2019, and the second providing a link to an advance single, "Rocket Fuel", featuring De La Soul.

It sounds great -- and exactly like what you'd expect a 2019 collaboration between DJ Shadow and De La Soul to sound like.  My only complaint would be "why did it take them this long to work together?"   My primary complaint about "The Outsider" is that many of his guests were beneath him, but that's obviously not the case here. 

DJ Shadow and De La Soul - "Rocket Fuel"

2019-08-08 update: I received another email with the backstory of how DJ Shadow came to discover the cover of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by The Belmonts that provided the sample for "Rocket Fuel".  

The Belmonts - "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye"

5 comments:

  1. Last week DJ Shadow released, "Rosie", the second track from his upcoming 2LP "Our Pathetic Age".

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJ Shadow has released another excellent single, "Urgent, Important, Please Read", from his forthcoming LP. Like the previous two, he also includes the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another single from the LP: "Kings and Queens", featuring Run the Jewels.

    Santa brought me "Our Pathetic Age", so I'll have to review it soon.

    ReplyDelete