Once again, I'm doing a song that makes me think of her, not really a song that likes. In fact, I only recently shared this song with her (I don't think she knew of it previously), and explained the story of how I connected it to her.
Part of our evening routine is that I make chamomile tea for us and prepare our evening pills (because we're old, pills. are a big part of our day). She takes sweetener in her tea and I do not, so I have to keep our tea cups separate. I do this by "assigning" us tea cups that only one of us uses. They don't always get washed every day, so I have primary and secondary pairs assigned; even a tertiary pair in case things are especially hectic.
One of the pairs is otherwise matching, except the colors are orange and green. Danette always gets the green one, because of the Pink Floyd song "Green is the Colour". It is from one of my favorite early Pink Floyd LPs, their 1969 soundtrack for the film "More", which has two of the best Pink Floyd songs that you've probably never heard: "Cymbaline" and "Green is the Colour".
As with many of her birthdays songs, the association is not strictly literal. Instead, the song evokes a sense of tenderness, longing, wonder, adoration, and simultaneous familiarity and mystery, so it is only natural that I associate it with Danette:
Heavy hung the canopy of blueShade my eyes and I can see youWhite was the lightThat shines through the dress that you woreShe lay in the shadow of a waveHazy were the visions overplayedSunshine in her eyesBut moonshine made her cry every timeGreen is the colour of her kindQuickness of the eyeDeceives the mindEnvy is the bond betweenThe hopeful and the damned
The studio version on the LP is good, but the contemporary live versions are both more raw, simple, and evocative, especially David Gilmour's achingly beautiful playing -- is there another guitarist who "says" more with so few notes? Let's also pause to mourn the loss of the David Gilmour and Roger Waters partnership: Roger writing and David singing is a winning combination, one that they failed to replicate without each other.
"Green is the Colour" studio, live 1970 for KQED
Previous birthday songs:
2025: Sonic Youth - "I Love Her All the Time"
2024: Devo - "Uncontrollable Urge"
2023: Brandi Carlile - "The Story"
2022: Plastic Bertrand - "Ça plane pour moi"
2021: Adam and the Ants - "Christian D'or"
2020: Walk Off The Earth - "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall"
2019: Nicki Minaj - "Monster"
2018: Bear Hands - "Giants"
2017: Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me"
2016: Molly Hatchet - "Flirtin' With Disaster"
2015: Avett Brothers - "Kick Drum Heart"
2014: Ani DiFranco - "32 Flavors"
2013: The Green Pajamas - "Kim the Waitress"
2012: The Cure - "High"
2011: Blink 182 - "Josie"
2010: Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl"
2022: Plastic Bertrand - "Ça plane pour moi"
2021: Adam and the Ants - "Christian D'or"
2020: Walk Off The Earth - "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall"
2019: Nicki Minaj - "Monster"
2018: Bear Hands - "Giants"
2017: Alvvays - "Archie, Marry Me"
2016: Molly Hatchet - "Flirtin' With Disaster"
2015: Avett Brothers - "Kick Drum Heart"
2014: Ani DiFranco - "32 Flavors"
2013: The Green Pajamas - "Kim the Waitress"
2012: The Cure - "High"
2011: Blink 182 - "Josie"
2010: Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl"


No comments:
Post a Comment