Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ass Ponys - "Little Bastard" (forgotten song)

Do you remember this one?  Danette swears she's never heard it before, but I'm certain it got a tiny bit of airplay when it came out in 1994.  "Little Bastard" was the single from the Ass Ponys's LP "Electric Rock Music".  Not a lot of airplay, mind you, but it obviously stuck with me enough to remember some nearly 20 years later.

Based in Ohio, I don't think the Ass Ponys ever made it big.  Vocalist Chuck Cleaver later formed Wussy, who I think I've heard of but their biggest accomplishment seems to be the undying admiration of veteran rock critic Robert Christgau, who is entranced by Chuck's stories of off-kilter Americana.  I've never seem him praise an entire discography like that before.

Anyway, back to "Little Bastard": this quirky, jangly, catchy song (& video) is a perfect mid-90s time capsule.  It makes me want to grow my goatee again.

"He said, `don't call me little bastard / call me snake...'" 

Ass Ponys: Little Bastard


No comments:

Post a Comment